David Bornstein, co-founder of the Solutions Journalism Network (SJN) – Prague, May 2017 (approx.13 min)
David Boardman, dean of the Klein College of Media and Communication at Temple University in Philadelphia and board chairman of SJN – Prague, March 2018 (approx. 45 min)
Tina Rosenberg, co-founder of the Solutions Journalism Network – Praha, September 2018 (approx. 27 min)
Kathryn Thier, co-founder of The Catalyst Journalism Project and head of Solutions Journalism Educators Academy – Prague, March 2019 (approx. 26 min)
Examples of Solutions Journalism
- Nejsi sám / You Are Not Alone (Nikita Poljakov et al., Aktuálně.cz) /use Google Translate/
- A project focusing on male suicides and how to reduce them. Part three of the series, “How A Customized Approach Prevents Suicide”, (here in English) describes a new approach to treating patients at high risk of suicide, based on targeted care offered through local mental health centers.
- Let Me Help You Find Bliss (Petra Dlouhá, Finmag)
- 2019 winner of the Special Award for Solutions Journalism in the Czech Republic
- how sexual assistance is helping the disabled to satisfy their sexual needs
- Watch Out for Refugees & November in Germany (Tomáš Lindner, Respekt) as part of a special issue Exodus
- 2016 winner of the Czech Special Award for SJ
- series of articles on how Germany is dealing with the incoming refugees
- If We Were Roma, We Wouldn’t Come Back From Britain (Denisa Gdovinová, Filip Olšovský, Týždeň)
- 2019 winner of the Special Award for Solutions Journalism in Slovakia
- Slovak Roma children in English schools speak perfect English, want to be policemen and doctors, and are supported by all the people around them. What is it that the British do differently?
- Takto učí dobrý učitel / This is how a good teacher works (Juraj Koník, Denník N) /soon to be in English, so far you can Google Translate/
- 2018 winner of Slovak Special Award for SJ
- Teach for Slovakia program sends young people after university to teach children that need help. They visit also places that teachers have not visited yet – the students’ homes.
- The New York Times – Fixes (column by David Bornstein and Tina Rosenberg)
- The Guardian – The Upside
- BBC – here you can read about the BBC’s view on how Solutions Journalism can hold the key to engaging young, social media-savvy audiences with strong visual content
Here are BBC’s solutions programs:
- Solutions Story Tracker – a database of SJ stories: https://storytracker.solutionsjournalism.org
- Impact Case Studies: https://www.solutionsjournalism.org/impact
- A “guided tour”: https://thewholestory.solutionsjournalism.org/a-guided-tour-of-solutions-journalism-impact-c98470d4600f
Look for more manuals in the Solutions Journalism Network’s Learning Lab.
- Find out What is Solutions Journalism
- Read about How we Promote Solutions Journalism in Central & Eastern Europe?
- Learn more about our Microgrants & Mentoring Program
- Join our next event and meet our guests in person.