What is Solutions Journalism?
Solutions Journalism is rigorous reporting about responses to society’s problems. It is complete journalism that not only spotlights the problems but follows an evidence based presentation of existing solutions. Such reporting enhances knowledge and accountability by providing the whole story to readers and offers constructive content in an age of media apathy.
This innovative journalism approach goes beyond simple issue identification and instead it focuses on featuring what is already working. It uses the same rigor of investigative reporting to highlight the mechanisms and success factors as well as the limitations of already existing solutions to well-known problems. As a result it activates citizens by functioning as a catalyst for accountability that can lead to meaningful change. A problem that was seen as unavoidable comes to be seen as unacceptable.
Solutions Journalism covers a wide-variety of topics and its approach ranges from identifying cases of positive deviants to exploring new ideas in action to reporting on experiments in progress. The result is informative, impactful content that strengthens audience engagement, reestablishes trust in media, and increases both readership and revenue.
The Four Qualities of Solutions Journalism
- Focuses in depth on response and how it works in meaningful detail (“howdunnit”)
- Focuses on effectiveness, not good intentions, presenting available evidence of results
- Discusses limitations/gaps of the approach
- Provides insights that others can use
Got curious? Learn more about Solutions Journalism!
Explore the Solutions Journalism Network’s Basic Toolkit – now available in many Central & Eastern European languages (Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Russian)
And… Don’t forget to browse Solutions Journalism Network’s Solutions Story Tracker – a curated database of more than 5,700 solutions stories from all over the world.
- Learn more about how we promote Solutions Journalism in Central&Eastern Europe
- Watch this space for information on our microgrant calls & mentoring
- Visit the next event and meet our great guests and ambassadors of Solutions Journalism in person
- Check videos from previous events and other information sources
- Find more details about this innovative approach to journalism in this report by Czech Radio (Czech only)