Editorial Assistant at Transitions (TOL)
Transitions (TOL) is an international publishing and media development organization based in Prague and registered as a Czech nonprofit organization. Our mission is to improve the professionalism, independence, and impact of the news media in the 30 post-communist countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.
TOL’s flagship publication, Transitions Online, is a newsmagazine covering the entire post-communist region, which is read by more than 10,000 people around the world each month. With correspondents and other contributors across the region, TOL uses local voices to provide probing, informed coverage of these countries on issues often underreported or censored in local media.
The Editorial Assistant Intern would work closely with TOL’s editorial team, gaining valuable experience at a respected international publication. This internship provides an introduction to newsmagazine journalism and foreign reporting.
The internship is unpaid and housing is not provided, but TOL will provide advice on securing low-cost accommodation.
We require a minimum of 100 hours at TOL’s offices in Prague for semester-long interns, and a full-time commitment for a minimum of six weeks for summer interns.
- Helping to compile our daily aggregation of news from around our region by combing regional media and writing briefs;
- Editing contributions by non-native journalists from our coverage region;
- Monitoring our media partners and news agencies for items of interest and possible republication;
- Conducting general and targeted research to enhance TOL’s content;
- Helping to develop more new media and multimedia content;
- Writing background and feature articles for TOL’s website;
- Posting stories on our content management system; and
- Creating timelines or other graphics to accompany some of our stories.
Interns must have two of the following:
- Knowledge of TOL’s coverage regions
- Journalism experience (can include journalism studies or work on the school newspaper)
- Native English skills
All candidates will be required to take a timed news-writing test.
We don’t require any language skills, but any knowledge of languages of our coverage region, especially Russian, would be very welcome.
Negotiable, but we ask for a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- This internship is unpaid. All costs related to travel, accommodation, health insurance and living expenses are the responsibility of either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
- The interns are responsible for obtaining and financing the necessary visas.
- An internship does not constitute a commitment to future employment with Transitions. However, the interns can use their supervisors and colleagues as references when applying for jobs.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and brief motivation letter (A4 page max.) outlining why you are interested in joining our team to email@example.com. Include in the subject line the vacancy title as above.