Editorial Assistant at Transitions (TOL)
Transitions (TOL) has numerous opportunities for students, especially those interested in journalism, the media business, development, and marketing. TOL is an international publishing and media development nonprofit organization based in Prague. Our mission is to improve the professionalism, independence, and impact of the news media in the post-communist countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. As a public-service media entity we are committed to using local voices to provide probing, informed coverage of these countries.
Editorial Assistant Intern
Since its founding in 1999, TOL’s flagship publication, Transitions, has become the leading news magazine covering its patch of territory. TOL has correspondents and other contributors in every country of the region. The Editorial Assistant Intern would work closely with TOL’s editorial team, gaining valuable experience at a respected international publication. This internship provides an introduction to newsmagazine journalism and foreign reporting.
- Writing articles for our daily news roundup;
- Monitoring our media partners and news agencies for items of interest;
- Conducting general and targeted research to enhance TOL’s content;
- Helping to develop more new media and multimedia content; locating photos for use with TOL content.
Journalism experience (writing and/or editing); experience with new media (i.e. blogging/social networks); regional knowledge of Central and Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and/or the former Soviet Union. We don’t require any language skills, but any knowledge of languages of our coverage region, especially Russian, would be very welcome.
Time Commitment: approx. 10-15 hours per week
- This internship is unpaid. All costs related to travel, accommodation, health insurance and living expenses are the responsibility of either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
- The interns are responsible for obtaining and financing the necessary visas.
- An internship does not constitute a commitment to future employment with Transitions. However, the interns can use their supervisors and colleagues as references when applying for jobs.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and brief motivation letter (A4 page max.) outlining why you are interested in joining our team to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the subject line the vacancy title as above.