Opportunity to help strengthen independent journalism and democracies
We are seeking an MBA student or a strategic planner with some experience to help map out potential business models and a long-term sustainability plan for a non-profit organization.
Press Start (www.pressstart.org) fosters independent journalism in countries where the press is not fully free by crowdfunding support to finance reporting on issues of interest to local communities. We have featured projects stretching from problems of maternal healthcare and access to potable drinking water to torture in prisons and drug smuggling.
Our mission has never been more critical: Freedom of the press is at a low, the level of misinformation at a high, and the challenges to independent media abound.
Press Start has received support from the Google Digital News Initiative, the European Commission and other entities in recognition of the value of an independent press as a key pillar of strong democracies, and of the approach that our team has taken to facilitate the coverage of topics that might otherwise go untold.
We are now seeking to scale up and make more of an impact, and want someone who is enthusiastic about our mission and eager to volunteer some time to work with our founder and advisors to:
– explore potential business models to make Press Start self sufficient
– create scenarios for revenue/expenses
– provide inputs to a pitch deck for impact/social investors
– offer other ideas for Press Start to create impact
– Knowledge about strategic planning
– Some understanding about non-mainstream media business models ( e.g. membership, newsletters, crowdfunding etc)
– Some experience with non-profits preferred
– Prepared to work pro bono and flexibly in their own time. This is currently envisaged as more of a project than an ongoing role.
– References upon request
How to apply:
Please send your CV and brief motivation letter (A4 page max.) outlining why you are interested in joining our team to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the subject line the vacancy title as above.