International Feature Writing in the Age of COVID-19
Date: May 4, 2021 – May 24, 2021
This course is open to:
- College and university-level participants. Some journalism experience or academic background is helpful but not essential.
- Journalists who have some experience but would like to increase their skills and knowledge.
- Anyone who can demonstrate a genuine interest in journalism.
Looking for something valuable to do this May, from the safety and comfort of your own home?
This four-week, hands-on journalism course provides you with an unrivaled opportunity to learn the craft of the foreign correspondent from a veteran of the media business – Dinah Richter Spritzer. As a journalist, Dinah has contributed to The New York Times, USA Today, Elle and Conde Nast Traveller.
The course uses a blend of live, online classes, interactive discussions; written assignments and stimulating reading materials. By the end of the course you’ll be equipped with a solid set of feature writing skills and feel ready to negotiate the challenges posed to foreign reporters by COVID-19. You’ll also have a range of publishable writing samples ready to make your portfolio stand out.
- Learn what makes foreign reporting different from domestic reporting through practical experience.
- Fine-tune your feature-writing skills and interviewing tactics in three well-researched articles, under the guidance of the instructor.
- Report, using all of the virtual tools available, including social media platforms, and video interviews.
- Learn how to provide sweep, context, and comparison when writing for an international audience.
- Find out how to write about a country when you can’t travel there, can’t speak the language, and aren’t even sure how the government works.
- Analyze international reporting on COVID-19.
Instructor: Dinah Richter Spritzer
If you have a passion for this line of work and want to acquire some practical skills, join Going on Assignment in Prague course!
- All readings are available online or via a PDF reader.
Want to get more information? Please see the curriculum or email firstname.lastname@example.org.